I have a high schooler involved in sports and always on the go. High school students involved in extra activities get up VERY early and have a very hectiic schedule.
My daughter sometimes has practice at 5:30am before school and then again right after school. It’s not unusual for her to be gone 12 hours a day at just 14 years old. That’s a lot!
Making sure she eats is important. And I don’t want her vending machine dependent!
So besides making sure she has something to eat in the morning and at lunch, packing extras is a must.
Lunch break is at 11am and sometimes she doesn’t leave school until 6:30pm, with lots of activity in between.
So how do we keep them fueled but not fill them with junk?!?!
Here’s a list of after school/between school and activity/sports go to foods. (Please contact me with food suggestions you have!)
For the very long days, I often combine a few of these!!
- Hummus and pretzels. Hummus is filled with protein.
- banannas – Potasium!!
- Granola bars
- Beef jerkey
- Chips and Salsa/Cheese *Dollar Tree has small 3 pack containers of salsa and 3 pack containers of cheese. Easy to pack with some tortilla chips
- Carrots and ranch dressing
- Peanut butter and Jelly Sam
- Peanut butter cheese crackers
- Graham crackers and peanut butter
- Protein bar
- Rice pudding (homemade!)
- Fresh fruit
- Honey wheat pretzels
- Turkey and cheese wraps
- Cheese cubes and nuts (almonds, cashews, etc)
- Fresh guac and chips!!! Exelente!
- Pretzels and peanut butter
- Tuna on a cheddar rice cake— SO GOOD!
- Hard boiled egg
- Dark chocolate and string cheese
Lots of ideas here. If you have one, contact me!!