Like everyone else, I am totally addicted to the food channels; learning how to mix sweet and savory, trying new flavors and just basically figuring how to combine flavors and foods to go from “eh, it’s a meal” to “OMG, that’s surreal!”
My new experiments are with grilled sammys. I love trying all kinds of combinations ! I’m still working on it and when I find some real gems, I’ll update and share. But for now, let’s talk about some do’s and don’ts and combos we know really work.
- Do not just go for your standard, white, sliced loaf bread. While it’s ok for your every day grilled cheese, experiment! It’s the yeast of your worries. (See what I did there?!)
- Dark Ryes
- Light Ryes- depending on your ingredients, these two ryes could really add to it.
- Italian bread- you can purchase this as a loaf, very inexpensive. Slice as thin as possible for your grilled sammys and you’ll get lots of use out of this bread. You can find this at your local Kroger for around $1.99 a loaf
- Italian loaf sliced bread- I find this often on the mark down shelf at my local store. Use it up quick if you want to use the whole loaf. But by buying it on discount, you can experiment for less money.
- Jalapeno cheese bread. This rocks!! Yes, it’s got spice of course but with the other ingredients you’ll be adding it tones the peppers way down.
- Raisin & cinnamon bread or just cinnamon bread. This add a lot into your sweet component.
- Jamon Iberico – This is a cured pork product from Spain that I recently found for a great marked down price. It’s something I had not heard of before so I wanted to learn! I’m not sure how available this meat is normally but it’s got a very salty, pork taste to it. It’s worked fairly well for me so far. Here’s a site I found that explains this particular product.
- Very thin sliced breaded chicken
- Very thin sliced baked chicken
- Pepper Jack
- Sharp Cheddar
- Blue Cheese
- Cream cheeses
Items to add:
- Spicy Mustard
- Thinly sliced fruit- strawberries, apples, pears
It’s time to move in to some juicy, mouth watering, unforgettable combos!!! Follow my next post; you won’t regret it!